(Dresden, c.1798) Ebony original in the Miller
Collection, Washington, also available in boxwood, following
the one in the Gemeentemuseum, Den Haag. Although neither
original is signed, we are quite sure they are both from the
workshop of Heinrich Grenser.
The design of both our originals, their bore
profile, tonehole locations, and turning style, is such a
close match with the flutes made in the Grenser workshop while
Heinrich was its master that their origin there is all but
certain. The piccolo has a clear but not shrill sound, and
can be played in tune, at least by piccolo players.